Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Piggy Bank

Yesterday we were out of money and out of food in our house, in trying to get by with the bare minimum before payday. Well I guess Amber got tired of eating mac and cheese or pancakes so she demanded that I take her to the store for some real food. I told her we didn't have any money and she said, "I do mommy" and ran to get her piggy bank. At first I laughed and thought, how cute but then I decided to use this as an opportunity to teach her about money and how it works. So we emptied out her piggy bank and came up with $4.80. I told her how much she had and asked her where she wanted to go eat. She chose Target so she could get popcorn and a slurpee from the food court. (I guess that is her idea of real food) Since it was her money I went with her decision and we left Daddy and Katy at home so it would be a special trip just for Amber. We put all the money in her purse and she carried it with pride to the register. I apologized to the cashier for having to pay with a pile of change and then Amber dumped out her purse all over the counter and said, "I want my popcorn and a drink." The cashier laughed at her and got her the drink and popcorn. We sat down and Amber looked up at me and said, "Mommy, I like going to dinner with you." It was so sweet and I told her I liked it too. Then she said, "ok, now go up to the man and get my coins back." I explained to her about how money works and how after you spend it you don't get it back, and while she seemed sad, I think she kind of understood. We spent the rest of the evening out window shopping and after the sugar from her slurpee kicked in we had a little race around the shopping plaza. I had such a good time with my little girl. It is nice to get to spend some one on one time with Amber when we can. She is really starting to impress me with how much she picks up on.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! This is so cute, but it kind of breaks my heart a little. Especially, at the part where she asks for her money back.

    ReplyDelete